With the onset of the new year, many of us made resolutions to begin eating healthier. Substituting traditional ingredients with whole wheat flour, oats and plain fat-free yogurt, these Morning Glory Muffins are a great way to start your day and your new eating habits. Today’s featured recipe highlights one of January’s food holidays as well: National Wheat Bread Month.
What You’ll Need:
1 cup whole wheat flour (approx. 4 3/4 ounces)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (approx. 2 1/4 ounces)
1 cup regular oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon wheat bran
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1 cup mashed ripe banana (approx. 2 bananas)
1 large egg
1 cup pitted dates, chopped (**Substitute dates for apricots or raisins, if desired.)
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup dried pineapple, chopped
3 tablespoons ground flaxseed (approx. 2 tlbsps whole)
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Place 18 muffin cups liners into muffin pan; coat liners with cooking spray.
4. Make a well in the center of mixture. Combine yogurt, banana, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
5. Fold in dates, walnuts, and pineapple.
6. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle evenly with flaxseed.
7. Bake for 20 minutes, or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pans immediately; cool on a wire rack.
** We suggest serving these muffins with a a side of fresh fruit and yogurt for a delicious and complete breakfast.