So, it was quite a warm day today here in Portland, and nothing goes better with a hot day like something cool. So with that in mind we will be making my personal favorite Italian dessert, gelato.
What You Will Need:
14 egg yolks
3 cups of milk (I used skim milk)
2/3 cup of Cream
16oz of strawberries
16oz of cocoa
1. First combine the milk, cream, bananas, and half of the sugar into a pan. Bring it to a simmer, and make sure it does not boil. Stir ever few minutes, while making sure to scrape from the bottom.
2. Chop the tops off of the strawberries, and puree the strawberries. You may strain off any chunks of strawberries that might be in there, or if you prefer you can keep them for some nice chunks in the finished gelato
3. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites, and put the whites off to the side for later. Take the yolks and beat them until thick. Once done add in the remaining sugar and 16oz of cocoa.
4. Pour the main mix into the blender, and puree that in your blender. Once it’s ready, pour it into the container with the strawberry puree and the chocolate mix. Mix it at a medium heat for a few minutes, and again do not let it boil.
5. Pour the mix into a freezable container, and place it in the freezer. Check on it every 45 minutes, and to make sure to allow the non-frozen parts to freeze.
6. After a minimum of two hours (or longer for better effect), you can enjoy your home made gelato, and beat the heat.