Wednesday, July 16 is National Corn Fritters Day. Celebrate with this simple country recipe.
Baked Corn Fritters
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 can (15 oz.) corn kernels, drained
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. chopped scallions or chives
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil with the chopped onion and garlic to a pan. Saute on medium-low heat until the onions are soft. Add corn. Remove from heat to cool.
- In a bowl whisk together the milk, egg, scallions/chives, and cheese.
- Add cooled corn mixture to the bowl with the milk mixture. Add in the cornmeal, flour, salt, and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread 1 tablespoon olive oil over the surface.
- Form the batter into flat, circular patties and lay them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes then flip them over and bake an additional 20 minutes, until a light golden brown.