Blueberries are a Maine summer staple – there are few recipes they cannot be added to. Plus, blueberries are quite tasty all on their own.
Today we’re putting a spin on our Old-Fashioned Gingerbread Recipe by adding blueberries – we hope you enjoy.
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour one 9-inch square baking pan.
- Cream together the sugar and butter. Add the egg, beating well. Mix in the molasses.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and clove. Add to creamed mixture, then pour in the water. Mix well.
- Add in blueberries and slowly stir until incorporated. Pour into baking pan and bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool in the pan, sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired. Serve and enjoy!