Combining the richness of red velvet and the look of a whoopie pie, this holiday dessert is perfect for a Christmas party or New Year’s Eve celebration.
What You’ll Need:
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon red liquid food coloring
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Melt chocolate and butter in a large bowl in the microwave until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Whisk in granulated sugar, eggs and food coloring until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla and salt, and add to above mixture. Stir gently to combine.
- Place 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls into powdered sugar and roll to coat. Place each ball on parchment or tinfoil-lined baking sheets.
- Use your hand to gently flatten the balls of dough. Bake in preheated oven until cookies are almost set and outsides are slightly crackled, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
- When cool, spread frosting onto flat sides of half of the cooled cookies. Gently press remaining half of cookies onto frosted half. Enjoy!