This fresh and light dish is not just tasty but versatile; serve it in snack proportions, as a main dish, with quesadillas, empanadas and other Spanish foods, and add beef or chicken if desired. It’s sure to fill you up and keep you energized while satisfying yours and your guests’ taste buds this summer and throughout the year!
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup white rice
(use instant or Minute rice
if you don’t have a lot of time)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 cup Pico de Gallo or your favorite salsa
- 4 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- While the rice is cooking, heat oil over medium heat in a nonstick skillet. Add beans and cumin, season with salt and pepper.
- Stir occasionally until heated through, or for about 2 minutes.
- Divide beans and rice in serving bowls and top with avocado, Pico de Gallo or your salsa of choice, and cheddar cheese. Enjoy!