The month of May celebrates many food holidays, one of them being Asparagus Month. Perfect to honor this time of year as it’s one of the spring’s top vegetables. Today’s featured Tuesday Recipe at Sturbridge Yankee Workshop, is a yummy recipe for Chicken Asparagus Roll-Ups.
What You’ll Need:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 lemon, juiced & zested
2 teaspoons dried tarragon
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
16 spears fresh asparagus, rinsed & trimmed
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
4 slices provolone cheese
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 475° F. Grease a baking dish.
2. In a bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, lemon zest, tarragon, salt, and pepper; until the mixture is well combined. Set aside.
3. Quick Trick: Cook asparagus in the microwave on High until bright green and just tender; about 1 to 1.5 minutes. Set the asparagus spears aside.
4. Place a chicken breast between two sheets of heavy plastic (resealable freezer bags work well) on a solid, level surface. Firmly pound the chicken breast with the smooth side of a meat mallet to a thickness of about 1/4″. Repeat with the rest of the chicken breasts.
5. Place 1 slice of provolone on each chicken breast, and top the cheese with 4 asparagus spears per breast. Roll the chicken breasts around the asparagus and cheese, making a tidy package, and place seam sides down, in the prepared baking dish.
6. With a pastry brush, apply a coating of the mayonnaise mixture to each chicken breast, and sprinkle each with panko crumbs, pressing the crumbs into the chicken to make a coating.
7. Bake in the preheated oven until the crumbs are browned and the chicken juices run clear; about 25 minutes. Makes approximately 4 servings. Enjoy!