This week’s featured Tuesday recipe at Sturbridge Yankee Workshop shares something to celebrate two of February’s national food holidays. February is both National Sweet Potato Month and National Hot Breakfast Month. Enjoy this Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole for breakfast during the week or brunch on the weekend, because this recipe offers up a hearty 12 servings. This breakfast idea is perfect for vegetarian eaters too.
What You’ll Need:
1 (8 ounce) package vegetarian sausage links
1/2 cup water, or more as needed
4 cups sweet potatoes, shredded
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 (8 ounce) packages shredded reduced-fat, mild cheddar-mozzarella cheese blend
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup fresh spinach leaves, finely sliced
1 (16 ounce) container low-fat, small curd cottage cheese
8 jumbo size eggs
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
2. Place sausage in a large skillet and pour in about 1/4 inch of water; cook sausage over medium heat until water evaporates and sausages are evenly browned; approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Crumble cooked sausages into a bowl.
3. Mix sweet potatoes and butter together in a separate bowl; evenly spread into the bottom of the prepared 9 x 13-inch dish.
4. Stir cheddar-mozzarella cheese blend, onion, spinach, cottage cheese, eggs, and crumbled sausage together in bowl; spoon over sweet potato layer.
5. Bake casserole in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and eggs are set; approximately 1 hour. Cool 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Tags: alternative breafast ideas, breakfast casseroles, egg casseroles, hot breakfast month, hot breakfast recipe, potato breakfast, sweet potato month, sweet potato recipes, vegetarian casserole, veggie casserole