A yummy lunch or dinner meal that will awaken your taste buds and offers a healthy solution too. Today’s recipe features an alternative to the standard beef taco in five steps: Shrimp Tortillas with Mango Salad.
What You’ll Need:
- 40 raw tiger shrimp, shell off, tail on, deveined
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and finely sliced
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 3 scallions, finely sliced on the diagonal
- 2 ripe but firm mangoes, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 red chili, seeded and finely diced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped mint
- Juice of 2 limes and zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon nam pla (fish sauce)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Cilantro sprigs and lime wedges, to serve
1. For the mango salad, combine red onion, scallions, mangoes, red chili, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, cilantro leaves, mint, lime juice, lime zest, nam pla and honey in a bowl. Check the seasoning and refrigerate.
2. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
3. Spray a griddle pan with oil, set the heat to high, then pan-fry the shrimp for 1 minute on each side. Now add the garlic and pepper and cook for another minute, tossing the shrimp from time to time.
4. Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven to warm through.
5. To serve, fold the tortillas in four and place two on each plate with 10 shrimp on top, accompanied by the mango salad. Garnish with some cilantro sprigs and lime wedges. Have your guests make their own tortillas for a festive dining atmosphere. Serves 4.