You may think leaves are the obvious choice when it comes to decorating for fall, but with some of our leaf themed products, you’ll wish you could display them year round! At Sturbridge Yankee Workshop, we have an assortment of different types of leaves too; including Aspen, Maple, Oak and more. Before we see how you can decorate with them, let’s take a look at some leaf facts.
1. A leaf is an above-ground plant organ specialized for the use of photosynthesis.
2. They are rich in protein, sugar and minerals making them great food for animals and humans (i.e. leafy vegetables).
3. Deciduous trees and plants are the ones that lose their leaves during fall.
4. Chlorophyll is the green pigment, that when lost due to less sunlight, is what allows the leaves to turn their pretty reds, oranges and yellows.
5. Fall foliage tourists, called “Leaf Peepers,” find that early to mid-October is the peak for best leaf colors in Northern New England.
Pictured above is our Leaf Votive Holders, that feature delicate leaves of filigreed metal with a rusty finish that surely will bring nature’s beauty indoors; a small accent that will display well anywhere in your home. Next, we have our fabulous assortment of leaf placemats. The Quilted Leaf Placemats are machine washable and come as a set of four in bright colors of green, gold, orange, and burgundy. A more delicate look is found in our Aspen Leaf and Maple Leaf placemats; both with an intricate lace design. Consider our Leaf Harvest Table Runner to match.
Other indoor leaf decor ideas include Sturbridge’s Canvas Leaf Print that could serve as the focal point of any room. Made in Maine, this attractive collage of tamarack, red maple and white pine is printed on canvas with a distressed look. Also our Autumn Solitude Print, by artist Doug Henry. This print showcases leaves at their best, set in the background of a country farm. When it comes to lighting accents, two beautiful fall night lights we carry are the Fall Leaves Night Light and the Oak Leaf Night Light. Both will help guide you through the dark autumn nights.
Don’t forget to add a festive touch outdoors, with our Maple Leaf Bird Feeder. Keep your backyard birds happy with this deep bronze, powder coated metal feeder. Decorating with leaves can carry your home decor through the Thanksgiving holiday, making it a smart choice this season. Browse more great leaf ideas and other harvest themed items today, at Sturbridge Yankee Workshop.