March is National Peanut Month, so here’s a sweet and salty recipe to treat yourself with all month long.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
(if using salted peanuts, omit the salt above)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- candy thermometer
- greased cookie sheet
- In a thick 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, bring sugar, corn syrup, salt and water to a boil.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved, then stir in peanuts. Put candy thermometer into place and continue stirring, watching for the thermometer to reach 300°F (150°C).
- Remove from heat and immediately stir in butter, baking soda and vanilla. Once combined, pour onto prepared cookie sheet and spread over the entire surface.
- Cool completely, then snap into pieces. Store in a cookie jar or sealed container and enjoy.