Let’s face it – Halloween can be expensive. Between decorations, candy, parties, and costumes, the cost can be, well, frightening! Let’s take a look at some of the most popular costumes for 2010 and see how we can re-create it at home, hopefully for less!
Of course you should not sacrifice safety for convenience when creating kids costumes.
- Pea In The Pod! Swaddle your baby in an emerald green blanket and add an emerald cap with a pom pom on the top.
- Baby Lobster Costume. Use a red ski cap, a red blanket, and red mittens for ‘claws’. Add a couple of pipe cleaners through the top of the cap for antennae.
- Yoda Baby Costume. Try a brown onesie, an oat-colored blanket, and a light green cap. You can cut ears out of felt and reinforce with pipe cleaner to attach to the cap.
- Hannah Montana. It’s all about purple and gold. Black leggings, black boots, a bangle bracelet and a microphone are the finishing touches.
- Avatar Neytiri Costume. This may be a little trickier. However, you may be able to convince your child to go for a long black braided wig and blue face paint to go with their jeans and sweatshirt. You can also get a jogging ‘under armor’ top at your sports shop in a pretty close Na’vi blue.
- Speaking of Avatar, Jake Sully will also be a popular costume this year. Use the same ideas as above and add khaki pants and a khaki safari shirt.
- The next Harry Potter movie will come out towards the end of 2010. Your old college robe, a dress shirt and tie, and some fake glasses may make this the easiest costume ever!
- As much as we may hate to admit it, Jersey Shore is a runaway hit in the US. Entire offices are challenging each other to dress like Snooki. Fortunately a black bumped up wig and your shortest black dress will work. Feel free to bump up other areas as well for the full effect.
- Or, go the complete opposite way and dress like a nun. Use that college robe, a white turtleneck, and a yard of black cotton fabric for a wimple. Be sure to have a cross handy to fend off those Snookies!
- Jet Blue flight attendant Steven Slater grabbed his 15 minutes of fame when he flipped out at work after a disagreement with an unruly passenger. A navy jacket with some felt striping at the cuffs over a dress shirt and tie will get you halfway there. The rest is all attitude.
- Star Trek is still very popular and easy to do. Most shops have the basic ensign shirt; you just need black pants and shoes.
There are a wide variety of Toy Story costumes out there for adults and kids alike. Why not dress up as Woody and the gang together this year?
Hopefully you have a few ideas to get you started. Have a fun and safe Halloween!