Some would say the art of ‘hosting’ (or hostessing) is dying off. Whether it’s because we have lower expectations as house guests or because our busy lives keep us from thinking of our guests as a priority, making your home warm and cozy has taken a back seat. Here are some simple things you can add to your guest bedroom and bath that will help your guests feel well cared for.
- A bathrobe. It’s very cumbersome to pack your own bathrobe, so why not have one around for your guests?
- Separate soaps. Make your bath feel like a hotel with private soaps for your guests. You can get fancy scented soaps or just a sample pack of plain white soap bars. Have a small container of hand sanitizer on hand in the bedroom or bathroom as well.
- Extra toothbrushes. Sometimes guests forget to pack their toothbrushes! You’ll be a hero if you have a couple of toothbrushes handy.
- Closet space and hangers. Hang plenty of empty clothes hangers in the closet for overnight guests to use. Purchase a dozen for a little over a dollar at your local discount store. Empty a couple of dresser drawers if your guests will be staying more than a night or two.
- Reading light and reading materials. Prepare your home for overnight guests by providing ample reading light so that guests who enjoy reading a bit before sleep can do so in comfort. Have a selection of reading materials nearby for just this purpose. Hang a floating bookshelf on the wall; it holds several books and saves space at the same time.
- The right furniture. Try and have a bench or chair on which your guests can set their suitcase. A chest with a flat top will work as well. A separate chair and ottoman are ideal for relaxing or dressing.
- Food and water. Houseguests get “the nibbles” in the evening, just like everyone else. Place wrapped snacks, fresh fruit or cookies and a bottle of water in the guest room.
- Personal space in the bathroom. Have space either in a cabinet in your bathroom or a hook where your guest can put some of their toiletries. Have some small disposable cups handy in the bathroom as well.
- Personal touches in the bedroom. Fresh flowers on the nigh table, a new box of Kleenex, a mirror, and a trash can will add extra convenience.
- Don’t forget the basics. A comfortable, supportive mattress, clean sheets, and clean towels go a long way. Make sure your guest room and bath are clean, free of clutter, and as spacious as possible.
With a few extra touches and effort, your house guests are bound to feel welcome, well cared for, and special.