You Will Need:
1 pound beef flank steak
¼ Cup water
¼ Cup lime juice
6 cloves minced garlic
2 Tbs snipped fresh cilantro
2 Tbs snipped fresh oregano or ½ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
¼ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
For Pico de Gallo
1 fresh poblano chili pepper or 1 sweet pepper
1 small tomato – chopped
3 Tbs finely chopped red onion
1 Tbs fresh cilantro
¼ tsp finely shredded lime peel
1 ½ tsp lime juice
¼ tsp salt
½ small avocado – halved, seeded, peeled, chopped
1. Trim fat from steak. Score both sides of steak in a diamond pattern by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals. Place steak in a resealable plastic bag in a shallow dish.
2. For marinade, in a small bowl stir together water, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, oregano and chili powder. Pour marinade over steak in bag. Seal bag; turn to coat steak. Marinate in the refrigerator 1 – 2 hours, turning bag occasionally.
Prepare Pico de Gallo:
1. Preheat broiler. Arrange the poblano chili pepper on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 4-5 inches from heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until skin is bubbly and blackened, turning occasionally. Carefully bring the foil up and around the pepper to enclose. Let stand about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Using a paring knife, pull off the skin gently and slowly. Discard skin. Remove pepper stem, seeds, and membranes; chop the pepper.
2. In a medium bowl combine chopped poblano pepper, tomato, red onion, cilantro, line peel, lime juice, and salt.
3. Stir in the avocado. Makes about 1 ½ cups.
1. Drain steak, reserving marinade.
2. Sprinkle steak with salt and black pepper.
3. For a charcoal grill, place steak on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 17 to 21 minutes or until medium doneness (160°F), turning once and brushing with the reserved marinade halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill, reduce heat to medium, place steak on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above)
4. To serve, thinly slice the beef across the grain; divide among 4 serving plates. Top with the Pico de Gallo. If desired, garnish with lime wedges and/or cilantro.