A hearty and Fresh Spinach & Sun-Dried Tomato Lasagna makes approximately 8 servings. This recipe is perfect for those seeking an alternative meal idea for their upcoming Easter dinner.
What You’ll Need:
1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
3/4 pound mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
2 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme
salt to taste, and 1 pinch of salt
ground black pepper to taste
1/3 cup all -purpose flour
3 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
8 cups fresh spinach, rinsed
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Cook lasagna in boiling salted water in a large pot, until al dente. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, be heating one half tablespoon of olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, celery, and carrots, stir and cook until onions have softened.
3. Next add mushrooms and garlic, and continue cooking until the mushrooms have released their liquid; about 2 or 3 minutes. Follow by adding the wine, and cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated.
4. Finally stir in chopped tomatoes (including liquid), sun-dried tomatoes, and thyme. Bring all vegetables to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer until a thick sauce is formed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. To make the white sauce, heat remaining oil in a heavy pan over low heat. Add flour, whisking constantly until the flour begins to turn a light brown. Remove pan from heat and whisk in cream. Season with nutmeg and a pinch of salt. Remove from heat and set aside.
6. To assemble, spread 1/2 cup of the vegetable sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish. Add one layer of noodles, then another 1/2 cup of vegetable sauce. Arrange a single layer of the fresh spinach leaves over the sauce, and drizzle them with 1/3 cup of the white sauce. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the grated Parmesan cheese over the spinach, and then top with another layer of the noodles. Repeat this process 5 times.
7. In a preheated 375° F oven, bake for approximately 40 minutes. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes and serve warm. Enjoy!