Combining the richness of red velvet and the look of a whoopie pie, this holiday dessert is perfect for a Christmas party or New Year’s Eve celebration.
What You’ll Need:
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon red liquid food coloring
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Melt chocolate and butter in a large bowl in the microwave until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Whisk in granulated sugar, eggs and food coloring until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla and salt, and add to above mixture. Stir gently to combine.
- Place 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls into powdered sugar and roll to coat. Place each ball on parchment or tinfoil-lined baking sheets.
- Use your hand to gently flatten the balls of dough. Bake in preheated oven until cookies are almost set and outsides are slightly crackled, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat cream cheese and remaining powdered sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Spread filling onto flat sides of half of the cooled cookies. Gently press remaining half of cookies onto frosted half. Enjoy!