This airy cake is a classic everywhere. The key is to not over-mix the batter, and to keep the oven closed throughout the baking time. If you would like to make just one whole cake (this recipe makes two 9″ cakes), up the baking time to 30-35 minutes. Enjoy!
What You’ll Need:
- Parchment paper
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two 9″ cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of an electric stand mixer (fitted with whisk attachment), beat all room temperature eggs for one minute on high speed. After one minute and while still mixing, gradually add the sugar and continue beating for about 8-10 minutes; until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and mix until combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Sift into egg mixture a little at a time.
- Fold in with a spatula until just incorporated. Scrape the bottom to catch any unmixed flour, and stop folding in when no streaks of flour are visible. Over-mixing will cause the batter to deflate.
- Divide batter evenly among the two cake pans. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Transfer warm cakes to a wire rack and remove parchment paper, let cool. Sprinkle confectioners’ sugar on top, add a whipped cream filling, decorate with fruit or top as desired.