A decadent Devil’s Food Cake recipe that uses milk and coffee to create a moist, delicious chocolate cake for any occasion.
What You’ll Need:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour two 9″ round cake pans or one 9×13 cake pan.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter until smooth then beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Add and incorporate eggs one at a time. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a large measuring cup or medium bowl, combine milk, coffee and vanilla.
- Starting and ending with the flour, add #3 and #4 alternatively to #2 while mixing until fully incorporated. If using two round cake pans, divide batter evenly; otherwise pour the batter into the prepared 9×13 cake pan.
- For two round cake layers, bake for 30-35 minutes in the preheated oven. For a 9×13 cake, bake for 40-45 minutes in the preheated oven. A cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean, and the cake should have begun to pull away form the sides of the pan.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 8-10 minutes. Remove the round cake layers from their pans and finish cooling on a wire rack (we suggest leaving the 9×13 cake in the pan for easier serving). Cool completely before frosting and decorating.