This classic American buttercream recipe is a must have in your cake and dessert recipe book. The following will make about 3 cups of chocolate buttercream frosting, and although we highly recommend sticking with the heavy cream, whole milk or a high fat milk will work if that’s what you have on hand.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup (2 sticks or ½ pound)
unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cream softened butter in a mixing bowl on medium speed until smooth.
- Sift together the confectioners sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Alternating with the heavy cream, gradually add in the dry ingredients, making sure to combine well in between additions.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until completely combined.
For a thicker consistency, incorporate more confectioners sugar about a tablespoon at a time until the buttercream reaches desired thickness.
For a thinner consistency, incorporate more heavy cream about a tablespoon at a time.
*When frosting a cake, cupcakes or other dessert, be sure to allow the confection to cool completely beforehand to avoid a runny, melted buttercream.