This recipe is perfect for getting a taste of summer no matter the season; especially when summer is almost in sight but it’s still cool enough to bake bread (so, now!). You can use fresh or frozen (and thawed) strawberries, and while this particular recipe calls for the bread to be baked in a bundt pan, it can be made in two loaf pans if you prefer (just decrease baking time by 20-25 minutes). Finally, if you prefer to avoid extra oil in your baked goods, applesauce makes a great substitute for vegetable oil.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter and flour one 9 or 10 inch Bundt pan.
- Slice strawberries and place in medium-sized bowl. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar, and set aside while preparing batter.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda; mix well.
- Blend oil, eggs and vanilla extract into strawberries. Add strawberry mixture to flour mixture, blending until dry ingredients are just moistened. Add batter to pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 70 – 75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn out of pan and allow to cool before slicing. Lightly dust with powdered sugar or serve with whipped cream.