We’re celebrating the indulgent coconut macaroon today for National Macaroon Day, but we highly recommend whipping up several batches to serve this summer and for special occasions. Almond extract is the special ingredient in this macaroon recipe; it goes great with the toasted coconut flavor and, if desired, chocolate drizzled on top.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pinch of table salt
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- Melted chocolate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the egg whites, almond extract and the salt on a medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar about 1 tablespoon at a time while beating at a high speed until stiff peaks form. Continue until mixture is glossy.
- Fold the coconut into the egg mixture. Drop the mixture with small spoon onto the prepared sheet, spacing each drop about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes (coconut should be browned). Dip into melted chocolate or drizzle chocolate over the top. Enjoy for up to five days.