Like any homemade sauce, the key to this sauce recipe is to take it slow. The ingredients for this Alfredo Sauce are simple, and by the end you’ll have enough to serve about six people – or, to serve two and keep extra on hand in the fridge.
What you’ll need:
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 quart (or 4 cups) whole milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Oregano, basil and/or pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter on medium heat until smooth. Turn heat to low and add flour; whisk to combine. When fully incorporated, add garlic.
- Slowly add the milk to the saucepan, one cup or one half cup at a time, while whisking
- Continue for 15-20 minutes. Sauce should be thickening and heat should remain on low to prevent burning. Add Parmesan cheese and continue whisking for 6-8 minutes until cheese is melted. Season to taste, and pour over Fettuccine noodles or your favorite pasta. Enjoy!