One of the oldest and simplest recipes in the book: The Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Since it’s National Grilled Cheese Day, here is a standard, easy-to-follow recipe with suggestions for adding flavor, a kick or enhanced creaminess to your grilled cheese.
What you’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 slices Texas toast, or your favorite bread
(to make one sandwich)
- 3 slices American cheese
- Place a medium frying pan over medium heat on a cooktop.
- While frying pan is warming, spread half of the butter on one side of one slice of bread, place butter side down in pan.
- Layer slices of cheese on the bread in the pan; spread remaining butter on remaining slice of bread and place on top of cheese, butter side up.
- Cook on medium heat for about five minutes, flip. If bread starts to burn, lower heat and continue to cook until cheese is melted.
- Serve with hot sauce, ranch dressing, a favorite soup or with tomatoes and enjoy!