Temperatures have started dropping towards the 0°F mark here in Maine, so we have warmth and comfort on our minds! What better way to have both than to incorporate them into a delicious soup that you can enjoy for lunch or dinner with a favorite sandwich or salad.
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups reduced fat milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 oz cubed pepper jack or cheddar cheese
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups chicken, skinless and roasted
- Pepper, salt and parsley to taste
- In a large pot, sauté garlic and onion for about 2 minutes. Add broth and potato and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and reduce heat, simmer until potato is tender.
- In a mixing bowl, combine milk and flour, stirring well with a whisk. Add the milk mixture to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes, or until slightly thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add cheese, stirring until all the cheese melts. Stir in rice and chicken, and add pepper, salt and parley if desired. Serve and enjoy.