These Red Velvet Waffles are the perfect breakfast indulgence, and they go so well with a nice tall glass of milk or your favorite coffee. Just grab a waffle iron and serve this treat to the kids and your family, or keep them all to yourself.
What you’ll need:
- Waffle Iron
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon red liquid food coloring
- Preheat your waffle iron. Combine and whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine the melted butter and brown sugar in a separate large bowl. Whisk in the egg yolks and buttermilk.
- Mix the cocoa powder and red food coloring in a small bowl to make a smooth paste, then whisk the paste into the butter mixture.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until moistened. The batter should be slightly lumpy.
- Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Stir one-quarter of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it, then fold in the remaining egg whites gently but thoroughly.
- Spray the waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray or brush with melted butter. Cook the waffles according to the iron’s instructions and serve with syrup, fruit, cream, or other toppings if desired.. Will make about 6 waffles.