Although the entire month of July is National Ice Cream month, and the third Sunday of July is National Ice Cream Day, today is officially Vanilla Ice Cream Day! To celebrate, here is a recipe for classic Vanilla Ice Cream – no ice cream machine required!
If you do have an ice cream machine at home, complete the recipe through step 2, and then follow your ice cream maker’s directions for freezing.
Vanilla Ice Cream
Makes 1 quart
Note: Shop carefully. White chocolate varies greatly in quality. If you use a bar instead of chips, chop it fine before melting it in step 1. If you plan to store the ice cream for more than a few days, place plastic wrap directly on its surface before you freeze it.
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ounce white chocolate chips (see note above)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups cold heavy cream
1. Make Base Microwave sweetened condensed milk and white chocolate in large bowl until chocolate melts, stirring halfway, about 30 seconds. Let cool. Stir in vanilla, salt and sour cream.
2. Whip Cream With electric mixer on medium-high speed, whip heavy cream to soft peaks, about 2 minutes. Whisk one-third of whipped cream into white chocolate mixture. Fold remaining whipped cream into white chocolate mixture until incorporated.
3. Freeze Place in airtight container and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours or up to 2 weeks. Serve and enjoy!