Today, December 4th is National Cookie Day. Appropriately in the first week of December, with all the baking that takes place during this busy holiday season. In honor of both the celebration of delicious cookies and the festivities soon to come, today’s featured recipe highlights one of the season’s favorite flavors. Consider making a batch of Peppermint Meltaway Cookies at your next party for a real crowd pleaser.
What You’ll Need
For the Cookies:
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
For the Glaze:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1-2 tablespoons milk
1-2 teaspoon peppermint extract
2-3 drops red food coloring
hard peppermint candies or candy cane, crushed
1. Combine sugar, butter and peppermint extract in large mixer bowl.
2. Beat at medium speed until creamy (1-2 minutes).
3. Reduce speed to low; add flour and cornstarch.
4. Beat until well mixed (1-2 minutes).
5. Cover; refrigerate until firm (30-60 minutes).
6. Heat oven to 350°F; shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls.
7. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
For the Glaze:
1. Combine powdered sugar, butter, peppermint extract, and enough milk for desired glazing consistency in a small bowl.
2. Stir in food color, if desired.
3. Drizzle over cooled cookies.
4. Immediately sprinkle with crushed candy. Makes approximately 24 cookies. Enjoy!