As November winds down this month’s food celebration of Pomegranates, here’s a recipe that’s sure to please. Boasting both pomegranate juice and pomegranate seeds, this dresses up your standard chicken dish in no time. Well known for their health benefits, this fruit and its seeds especially, are high in both Vitamin C and fiber. Let’s learn how to make a Blushing Pomegranate Chicken below.
What You’ll Need:
2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
3.5 lbs bone-in chicken pieces
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds **Helpful tip for accessing the seeds: First cut pomegranate in half. Then holding it over a bowl, tap back of fruit to let the seeds break free. Use a spoon to further scrape out any remaining seeds.
1. Arrange sweet potatoes and chicken pieces in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
2. In a small bowl, mix together pomegranate juice, sherry vinegar, olive oil, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour over chicken and sweet potatoes.
3. Cover, and marinate for 1 to 2 hours, turning once.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake, uncovered, in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until chicken and sweet potatoes are cooked through. Baste with cooking juices several times while cooking.
5. Sprinkle with green onion and pomegranate seeds before serving. Makes approximately 8 servings.
Tags: how to cut pomegranate, how to get seeds from pomegranate, how to use pomegranates in cooking, national pomegranate month, pomegranate chicken dinner, pomegranate health benefits, pomegranate recipe