In honor of the St. Patrick’s Day holiday approaching this coming Saturday, we offer an alternative to the classic Corned Beef & Cabbage main dinner. Our featured Irish themed dish this week is a yummy Potato Leek Casserole; good for either your main dish or a well complimented side.
- 1/2 stick butter, clarified
- 2 large white potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 large leeks, white part only sliced into thin rings
- 1 cup shredded parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and black pepper to taste (decorate for spring with our cute Carrot Salt & Pepper Shakers, seen here to the left).
- 1 tablespoon sherry
1. Melt the clarified butter in a skillet and toss in the leek rings. Simmer until the leeks are soft. Drain the leeks, reserving the butter and set cooked leeks aside in a small bowl.
2. Brush or spread reserved butter on the bottom and sides of your casserole dish.
3. Spread your slices of potato on a plate, cover with a paper towel and cook in the microwave for two minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
5. Spread a layer of the white potatoes in the bottom of your buttered baking dish. Then, a thin layer of cooked leek rings. Repeat layers until all veggies are gone.
6. Whip heavy cream, sherry and parmesan. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, then pour over potato and leek layers.
7. Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Tags: daily recipe, irish cooking, irish recipe, irish recipes, potato and leek bake, potato leek casserole, recipe, Recipes, st patricks day entertaining, st patricks day recipe, whats for dinner tonight