August is mushroom and onion month! To celebrate, try this recipe.
- 1/2 Cup melted butter, divided
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 16 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 4 Cups sliced sweet onion rings
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Cups diced tomatoes, drained if canned
- 2 Cups soft bread crumbs, divided
In a large skillet melt 3 Tbs butter.
Add lemon juice.
Sauté mushrooms; set aside.
Melt 2 Tbs butter in skillet.
Sauté onions until transparent.
Place onions in a 1 1/2-quart baking dish
Top with mushrooms.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Combine tomatoes and 1/2 of the bread crumbs.
Season with salt and pepper.
If tomatoes are fresh, simmer for about 10 minutes.
If canned tomatoes are used, simmer for a minute.
Pour tomato mixture over mushrooms.
Toss the remaining crumbs with the remaining melted butter.
Sprinkle crumbs over tomatoes.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.