Try this tasty morning snack with your favorite cup of hot beverage as you welcome the chilly fall morning.
- 1 ½ Cups all-purpose flour
- ½ Cup rolled oats
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder
or instant coffee crystals
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ Cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 6-oz. carton plain fat-free or low-fat yogurt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/3 Cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- Additional rolled oats (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet or line with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, ½ cup oats, sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder and salt.
- Using a pasty blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine yogurt and egg white. Stir in chocolate pieces.
- Add yogurt mixture all at once to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead by folding and gently pressing dough for 10 to 12 strokes or until nearly smooth.
- Pat or lightly roll dough into an 8 x 6 inch rectangle. Cut rectangle crosswise into 4 strips, then cut each strip into 3 rectangles to make 12 pieces.
- Place dough pieces 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. If desired, sprinkle with additional rolled oats.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until tops are set. Remove scones from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!